jeudi, décembre 09, 2004

so easy it is to forget things in the past...

I was IMing a friend and he goes," oh, yeah by the way, I heard him say that." In the same context as I'm presenting it here more or less, without background. So I had no clue and he pointed me towards my own profile.. where I read my own scribbling...

I like in particular that HaRav Yehuda Amital wrote: "I am simply amazed when from time to time people who call themselves rabbis get up and think they can provide an explanation for every tragedy ... Where do these people get the audacity to think that they know something that every mortal in our generation doesn't know? It makes me very angry. The appearance of this phenomenon amongst the religious community is a sign of shallowness in Torah learning, and amongst society in general it's a sign of cultural shallowness. where logic ceases to be the criterion -Torah cannot exist, and where use of logic is made redundant, there cannot be any culture. Only in a place of cultural and spiritual hollowness can a world of fears and imaginary desires take the place of reality and clear judgment."
He was writing about how freedom makes a society that shuns committment and how media soundbites .


Funny, how memory goes so quickly. Anyway, I still like the quote even though I haven't read it in probably four years or so. I just thought I'd put it up here for others to read over. R'Amital always struck me as someone with a good head on his shoulders, a lot of common sense, and as a fine rabbi. Thanks to Leeor for reminding me of it.