mardi, juillet 05, 2005

I've begun reading a new book

So I started reading Sam Apple's book on shleping through the alps, but couldn't bring myself to finish it. I've put it down in favor of reading _Impressions of Theophrastus-Such_ by George Eliot. It's great fun. Lately, I've read a lot of non-ficiton and I think that I'd like to go back and start again on reading classics... I recent;y heard Rabbi schwarz talking about Prisoner of Zelda, which I havent' read yet, but would really like to.

I just today finished another run through editing of the story I'm writing from yom Hashoah. I'm figuring that those of you who want to read the story can leave me a comment and I'll email it to you. It begins like this...

Shterna Ester walked briskly down the street towards her grandmother's home. She was in a rush, with so many errands to do before shabbat. The day was bright, but still had a lingering mid-morning chill. She looked above and remembered what Gramma Helen had told her once, "In the camps, sometimes there were these bright days and the first time it was like this, you couldn't believe G-d could be so cruel. The irony was that the day was so beautiful in its crispness and so precise in its delicacy, and here we were with everything taken from us. Over time though, we ignored days like this. Only after the war, when we were free -you know I could not believe them, when they told us we were free?- I learned again to love this kind of a day." Shterna Ester breathed in the air, like a sweet, tart apple, its taste going deep into her heart. Today, she hoped Gramma Helen would tell her stories, while she set up the apartment for shabbos. Today felt like a story day.

If you want the rest of the story you've got to post me a comment...